17-7 PH Stainless Steel
Altemp Alloys carries a variety of stainless steels with the ability to withstand high temperatures. Of the most frequently used in the the aerospace industry and when meticulous, elaborate parts are needed, 17-7 PH stainless steel is a common choice.
A stable, chromium-nickel-aluminum steel, 17-7 is a precipitation hardening steel with a high strength and moderately resistant to corrosion. In terms of corrosion resistance, 17-7 PH is comparable to 304 stainless steel and a better choice when compared to the 400 series of stainless steel.
17-7 PH Shapes
Altemp Alloys offers 17-7 PH stainless steel UNS S17700 in:
|Sheet||AMS 5528AMS 5529||Quote|
17-7 PH Composition
The chemical composition of 17-7 breaks down as follows:
- Chromium: between 16.0 and 18.0 percent
- Nickel: between 6.50 and 7.75 percent
- Aluminum: between 0.75 and 1.50 percent
- Manganese: up to 1.00 percent
- Silicon: up to 1.00 percent
- Carbon: up to 0.09 percent
- Phosphorus: up to 0.04 percent
- Sulfur: up to 0.03 percent
- Iron: makes up the remainder
Standard 17-7 PH Heat Treatments
Heat treatments can strengthen this type of stainless steel. The approved process for 17-7 PH heat treatments has three steps:
- Conditioning using austenite.
- Cooling, which turns the austenite into martensite.
- Precipitation hardening until Condition TH 1050 or RH 950 is reached.
Due to its strength and corrosion resistant, 17-7 PH applications include:
- Fluid seal springs
- Encapsulated bellows
Click here to Request a Quote from Altemp Alloys
or call us today at 800-227-8103